Monday 27 July 2015

As I ponder on life..

With six modules of the RudaĆ­23 course now complete we have time to reflect on our progress, catch up and perhaps evaluate our current role within the profession.

Since starting the course we have been exposed to different forms of social media, from LinkedIn to Facebook and Twitter and of course, blogging.  I've had awareness of all but some I'd never experienced or used in a professional context.  The course is intense but interesting, it challenges you to look at your use of these tools and also your online presence.  I've taken the time to view my profiles and make changes where necessary and also decide that certain tools are not for me professionally. Facebook will remain for family and close friends not work related.  Twitter - I won't be tweeting personally but I can involve myself more with our work Twitter now.  LinkedIn will remain my professional network but updating it has highlighted my skills and my experience.

Has the course changed my perspective on my career? Has it caused me to view my career path and perhaps make changes?  My perspective on my career hasn't changed but I hope peoples' perception of my profession will have altered somewhat.
I hope people who view my profiles will see someone who is a confident, pro-active customer driven manager who can develop strategies, do cost accounting and financial projections, deliver projects and actively promote services within a community but most importantly, a person who is passionate about service delivery, social inclusion and community engagement.  Someone who likes nothing better than to reach out and help someone who needs assistance, advice or guidance. Someone who despite cutbacks and staff shortages will still try to ensure that those who engage with our services will receive the best possible service at that time. Someone who is pro-active in developing projects/associations within the community and never stops trying to bring the world of literature, learning and books to a wider audience.  Someone who will facilitate meetings, deal with anti-social behaviour, customer complaints and also prepare art and craft activities for young children, exposing them to educational mediums such as paint, felt, sand, clay.

It a nutshell - someone who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty, whatever the project...

5 comments:

  1. Hi Liz. You sound like a dynamic person - you're so right, we have such variety in our jobs with no day the same dealing with the public. Have read your other contributions - love Charlie Byrnes myself, make a beeline there whenever in Galway and how lucky are you to have experienced John O'Donohue first-hand. Enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment. I'm enjoying the whole blog experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think should use "confident, pro-active customer driven manager who can develop strategies, do cost accounting and financial projections, deliver projects and actively promote services" as your LinkedIn heading. Talk about capturing the essence of what we do. Excellent blogpost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, didn't really think about using that statement, perhaps I should re-visit LinkedIn again :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Caroline, didn't really think about using that statement, perhaps I should re-visit LinkedIn again :)

      Delete