Wednesday 18 November 2015

Mobile things


All things mobile, isn't that the way society is going anyway? Everything at your fingertips and the convenience of just opening your phone and browsing through the vast number of apps available to you. I recently sat in a team meeting where the most high profile and high ranking officer in attendance continued to use his smart phone while he was supposed to be hearing the final recommendations from the team.  I call that rude, but maybe I'm just old fashioned. 

Apps so  the news is streamed in real time, the sports, the celebrity gossip, the farmers journal and  foal sales at Goffs - (they are probably just for me) but in reality you never have much time to yourself.  Research has highlighted issues within relationships and parenting as people become more addicted to online news and information.  Where is the down time?

However I do have my little pet app that I log onto everyday to catch up on, it's like my little comfort blanket when work gets me down - Agriland :)  It keeps me up to date on latest news, EU stories, Dairy, Beef and Equine Industries.  My little bit of heaven!!  A country girl at heart. Nothing what so ever to do with been a professional librarian.

But this Rudai23 course has introduced me to different applications, media apps etc. and while I have enjoyed learning about how they work I have no interest in using many of them on a daily basis. I value my time without phones, internet and the like and enjoy just getting out meeting people and like the isolation the countryside gives me.  Considering we work in an underfunded, over-stretched public service our time at work is pressurised but I enjoy my role meeting patrons and assisting them with their queries or perhaps even to take time to listen to their problems.  After 'giving' so much to the public I like nothing better than to retreat to my space and engage with those whose friendships I value most.

While  50% of people aged between 55 and 64 have smart phones that still leaves 50% of the population that don't engage with mobile technology or online.  That's a lot of people that still need to be reached, still need a library service or community engagement.  We can engage with our patrons on different levels but shouldn't just focus on technology.  Many of those out there don't have the skills to engage online and it is these people who we shouldn't forget, these are the people society is leaving behind and causing divides within communities.  It is the role of the library to ensure that all are welcome and all are given the same chance within our communities.

I would urge caution in relation to using many of these technologies from a library perspective unless your library authority has already developed a good communications policy that details what is and isn't acceptable in terms of usage of online services.  Too many times we have had complaints from members of the public who weren't happy receiving texts or notifications of events the libraries were hosting without receiving proper consent from the patron to do so.  It's a very fine line between marketing and information provision to your patrons and one we as librarians have to be very clear on.  We also have to ensure that the appropriate data protection is in place and that data isn't shared with third parties.
I welcome advancement in all its forms but I would welcome proper guidance and conversations about appropriate usage from a library perspective.

1 comment:

  1. You make a good point about the need to find a balance between providing information regarding services and direct marketing which so many of us opt out of. #rudai23

    ReplyDelete