Monday 16 November 2015

Infographics

I would agree that a 'picture says a thousand words' and would go so far as to say that a picture can have a more lasting impact on a person.  For those of us who are trying to catch people's attention with displays, information notices or new legislation the ability to use something like an Infographic makes such sense.  Also these would be most useful if developed appropriately to assist people with literacy problems and those whose first language is not English.

We've all probably seen an Infographic as it's used in online marketing and in the media on a regular basis.  I've never used one in a library setting and now after reading about them as part of the RudaĆ­23 course I'm wondering when can I have a go at producing one for the library!

I know of one occasion that I would have loved to have had the awareness and skills to develop an Infographic.  I was responsible for the upgrade of Westside library in 2012  to include self service and the introduction of RFID technologies. This upgrade was done while the library was open and involved the cataloguing onto the new system of all our stock plus the addition of self-service machines and a new reception area.  I produced so many posters explaining to the public the changes, apologies for disruption, what the new technologies would mean and finally having to produce a guide on how to use the self-service machines.  All of these could have been more professionally done using an Infographic. 

Thanks to RudaĆ­23 I'll be better prepared for the next major project in my library career, but I'll be having a go a producing some of these for the library perhaps with a Christmas theme...time to start been creative I think!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to Christmas-themed infographic Liz #rudai23

    ReplyDelete