Sunday 16 August 2015

What's a real librarian?

I really enjoyed the opportunity to meet some of the Rudaí23 team over the weekend and get to know the people behind the profiles.  It was an opportunity to discuss careers, life choices and also elements of the Rudai23 course - how were we progressing? (slowly)  were we all up to date? (no we are not) were we enjoying it (yes)

The course aims to highlight different aspects of social media, the different programs and services available, many of which are free to use.  By utilizing these programs you can develop your online professional profile or your library service and help promote yourself or your services to a wider community. Of course issues of privacy were mentioned but we are all aware of the consequences and should approach each online element with caution. 

While enjoying some delicious food a passing comment from a good friend and colleague got me thinking, she mentioned that while she was introducing me at a recent conference she described me as a 'librarian based in Westside Library' but I started my presentation by describing myself as an 'Information Professional' - so what am I, or does it matter what title I have?

When I studied for my MBA I spent many a day explaining what my role was to my fellow students who had varied and well established careers in Business, Manufacturing, Medical Industries etc.  They had defined roles, descriptive job titles that showed clearly their expertise.  Often our networking events led to questions for me like - What exactly do you do? Do you read books all day? Gosh, is there a qualification for that, I just thought you shelve books... needless to say I drank many a strong beverage to calm my ruffled feathers.  But while I was doing the MBA we had to formulate presentations, complete questionnaires, IQ tests and undergo interview skills all these elements highlighted skill-sets that I had but were lost in the librarian title.
I felt that in a non-librarian world the title is lost on people - while it is one of the oldest profession in the world (we have to be careful as another profession is older, have a guess!) trying to define our job is very difficult but we are much more than just customer service reps, a description that is beginning to creep into our management publications and mantra.  By using the 'Information Professional' title it gives me the opportunity to highlight my experience and also showcase my skills some of which are unique to the library world, others cross over to many different industry fields.  The title also allows me an opportunity to explain what my role is to those that are interested.

Other issues that were mentioned was the 'snob' attitude with the library profession with some librarians thinking they are 'proper' librarians and perhaps looking down their nose as public librarians whose service, by its' nature, is multi-dimensional.  Some would go as far as to say that public librarians read poetry all day! I would perhaps suggest that it's not a 'snob' attitude that exists but a fear - a fear of the unknown. For some librarians the idea of developing a literacy program, establishing a community outreach program, engaging with recently released convicts and assisting them in their society transition strikes fear in their heart as does the use of databases and in-depth research/terminology usage strike the fear in a public librarian that they are somewhat inadequate.  What we as a profession need to remember is that we are all in the same industry, we are  information providers but that our methods are different.  Our skills are the same, it's how we use them that's different.  If we want the profession to be recognised and acknowledged for what it really is then we all need to acknowledge our differences, respect each others methods and move forward  as a united profession, ready to stand up to those who wish to see our services reduced, re-assigned or in some cases eliminated.

 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your call for librarians to remember that we all work in the same field. We have enough challenges without creating distinctions within our own ranks.

    ReplyDelete