Thursday 23 July 2015

To Tweet or not to Tweet

Item five of the Rudaí23 course is online Networks, I'm beginning to catch up now and really can see how the effective use of technology can introduce you to different aspects of your chosen profession.

I already have a Facebook page but have only used it in a personal capacity, mainly contacting family who are abroad, sharing information with them and arranging visits etc.  I never really use, or thought to use this from a professional aspect as I've always considered Facebook a relaxed, informal site. I've heard the horror stories of people losing jobs or not getting jobs because of what was posted on Facebook. I've always veered away from using it. But I think the more we become aware of our online presence and take control of it the better.  I'm finding that this course is pushing me to view my online presence and engage more.

Twitter on the other hand just doesn't excite me, we have a Twitter account at work and I can see that it's a popular network but I'm a very visual person and the idea of a few lines of text just bores me.  It's nice to read about the use of Twitter and perhaps I can contribute more to the work Twitter, but I'm not going to be Tweeting any time soon :)

Then again, I said I'd never blog either.....

2 comments:

  1. The best thing about twitter was the libchats we haven't had any in a while where discussion with other professionals on a set agenda was informal and interesting. But it can be riskier than Facebook I had a few follower requests from fake accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't think about the libchats part Emmet, I'm still unsure but will have another look shortly. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete