Monday 13 July 2015

Librarian? are you serious??

If you had asked me when I was 18 years old, would I like to be a Librarian? I would have had some smart answer for you ensuring that under no circumstances would you have formed an opinion that the Library Industry was where I saw my dream job. I went off to College studying Management and Heritage Studies and saw my life in the Tourism/Heritage sector.  I enjoyed my first college experience, the hustle and bustle of the college corridors, the over-powering fish smell from the Marine Biology Labs that wafted its way to the canteen and ensured that the 'fish option' on the menu was never selected. I made friends easily and participated in groups, debating teams and musical ensembles but I loved to escape to the library - to the quietness and solitude of the book stacks and to discover authors, genres and subjects that I wouldn't find in my local library.  I was 'always studying' my friends used to say!  Little did they know..

My love of books and reading was developed at an early age with my mother or father reading to me each night before bed.  My mother would spend whatever surplus money she had on a weekly treat of one of the ladybird classic series until we had them all - it was our little adventure each Friday to visit the bookshop and root out a title we hadn't got. I can still remember the dark, warren of bookshelves in shop with the newspapers and magazines at the front of the store, it was magical.
I was a member of my local library but the librarian terrified me and the place was only open at odd hours.  It was always closed for the Novena (don't ask why), the Galway Races and Easter Ceremonies - all of them. Children were never allowed into the adult library unless an adult was with you, my mother always made time to be with me and the librarian didn't like it when we checked out the 'expensive coffee table style books' on wonderful topics such as the Amazon, the Great Pyramids and Wild Animals of Africa.  I can still visualize those books.

During my College years I had the pleasure of having the late John O'Donohue, author of Celtic Spirituality and Philosophy books like 'Anam Cara' and 'Eternal Echoes' as my lecturer.  He was teaching us Irish Literature but it was mo
re than a lecture, he introduced us to mythology, scripture, nature and poetry and encouraged us to 'take time to smell roses'.  He was passionate about writing and discovering new writings and so my interest in books increased. Part of the course was to make our way to 'Charlie Byrne's  secondhand bookstore' in Galway city and 'root out a gem of a story', something that opened my reading to unknown authors and poets.
This type of lecture was in real contrast to the management, accounting and company law that made up the vast majority of the course and really kept me interested in the Heritage of this Isle and the impact literature can have on someone's life.

I graduated from the course and started work with Emirate Airlines (nothing to do with Irish Heritage obviously) but I gained wonderful experience in dealing with people from different cultures and backgrounds as I was based in Dubai. My language skills improved with the introduction of Arabic and the use of my French and German on a regular basis. Sadly I had to finish my contract and return home due to political/religious tensions in the area that just made flying at that time stressful.  I worked at home with tour companies, genealogy centres and a Museum and then a library position appeared in the paper.  My mother suggested I apply and the rest they say is history!

I managed to secure the position of part-time branch librarian in our local town and through myself into developing the place, increasing membership numbers by 70% and made strong links with the local community.  I arranged book club meetings, parent/toddler groups and supported the set-up of a special needs teacher/assistant group for the region.  I loved my job, but not because of the books - because of the links with people, the community, the businesses who funded my projects and never said no.  The smiles on the children's faces after school as they tore through the door to do 'homework time' with me was something I'll always remember.  The story-time sessions when I had to read the same book three or four times, yes those were good days.

I studied for the Degree in Librarianship and worked at the same time, I applied any new knowledge I gained straight into the service I was delivering.  This little town library was buzzing and then we got a new building, moving from one room to a fancy, spacious library in a restored old Church. New library staff came on board and together we developed the library service into something that was at the heart of the community and remains there today.
I realized that I was good with people, enjoyed a challenge and developing links with communities and people across a wide area.  I like the management of the library service but was always aware that the library service depended on the provision of quality stock.
I applied for, and was accepted into the Master of Business Administration (MBA) at the J.E. Cairnes Business School, NUI Galway. This was a whole different ball game with me sitting beside executives from some of the biggest companies in the world - managers from Medtronic, Boston Scientific, Bank of Ireland, and me, the part-time branch librarian ready to take on the world!!

I worked hard studying corporate finance, learning how to read financial reports and apply formula's to 'see through' the PR stuff that companies publish. I learned about strategy and marketing and then my moment of realization - Knowledge management and service development, my favourite topics and me, the little librarian, in her element.  I introduced the class to Dr. Seuss as part of my presentations and, as one lecturer said 'I put a new perspective into the business class'.  Today I use these skills in my current role as a Senior Library Assistant in a busy city library.

Librarian?  Never thought I'd be one but would encourage anyone else to join this exciting, challenging and diverse industry.  Perhaps not just for your love of books but for your ability to bring the book/information world to so many other people.  That's the real joy.



3 comments:

  1. You've had a fantastically varied career path Liz. Your description of your mum treating you to the Ladybird books and the trips to the library is really evocative. Looking forward to reading your next post! #Rudai23

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, John O'Donohue sounded like a very good and inspiring lecturer, what better than an excuse to go to Charlie Byrne's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone for the comments, I've had a varied career path but Saoirse, you are right John was amazing and really kind too. He had time for all of us and I try to do that in my work too.

    ReplyDelete